Re: RE : LF: Opera QRP test on 477

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: RE : LF: Opera QRP test on 477
From: John P-G <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 06:57:01 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:subject:references :in-reply-to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=RqHZ/G/bBXHZDY+XI73hmoHnmm6xAErwDBYvXYIRXCM=; b=cTZ6c83ptDvTXhW+0J1B49VBQZ8IuAckLQw4f7Z8eUeB0I+p2rDhGmJLY8RFuPWg5r KeRi2pEUT/xh2orAVgge+mnUcZBGHtPr9qHDzQWH7NQDXFU7ro/r4uwb99lMw+0RQ7If X+W9hIV4j6mPaT9vdmCGdM+iMS2SWojMdinDMANkoyKYXqX9bG+La4ITdMEELQdPIClY D6b9orCyWr965hPv5dwvZ/2qI7xzYRHv5YnA8KA0ES06SN7mGFIUISzFhvvK9LRUmerv F6k4KK/YTrOcYextGX8Rt1PLBikaDi0Ljeeu0aJPFTGKtaOaT9lZqV3Q4VlV9eW0G3q6 cCKw==
Sender: [email protected]

Stefan, LF

01:47    477 DK7FC Op4 +0 dB

Best spot of the night, 0dB

I notice that today the spots ceased around sunrise - no residual groundwave at this power level.

As for "hearing" - I don't know.

A few years ago (September 2007) Finbar EI0CF and I did some QRPp tests on 501kHz using CW and I managed to read a 4-figure group he sent with TX power of 100mW. I think we may have done some more tests at lower power, but I can't find the details at the moment.

I generally find, on HF as well as MF, that my WSPR reports are 10dB better, or I need 10dB more power to get equivalent reports, between myself and other stations. I assume this is due to a low local noise floor.

I've done some 5MHz Olivia operation over the last few months, and found similar results, even with stations in "rural" locations.

Summertime isn't the best for weak signal work on MF due to the QRN, and the long daylight period at this latitude, but I've had some good results, even in summertime, which is why I thought I'd put a grabber up now, to see what's possible.

My Perseus is currently showing a noise floor of -120dBm in the marekr's 122Hz RBW, or -104dBm in the 8.8kHz demodulator RBW.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3551430/gm4slv_mf_noisefloor.JPG

This is around -140dBm/Hz, between QRN bursts. I imagine this is rather lower than most MF stations experience.

I hope to be in a position to transmit on 502kHz soon, but other commitments are delaying my progress at resurrecting my MF TX.

Cheers,

John
GM4SLV