LF: Re: [rsgb_lf_group] Measuring small values of resistance and reactan

To: <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: [rsgb_lf_group] Measuring small values of resistance and reactance at 137 kHz
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 20:24:27 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btopenworld.com; s=s1024; t=1338837867; bh=fNl+LDEW+Ss1X88WBRirvbOnijHXh57ISr3zHN3Gv08=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MIMEOLE; b=R8uoZQ8f+Oxuw8+6hyxXEDQ4SzYrAkExMblMJXv0wZTqSVJVx8sskjDL1tB/0rUPFlZ4cwjldEYFoAgtl1icr22+UIK9WDRv1R2EIUIkoeqTI82UqfM/KVltCBtbnLQPkdxPqWkxr1XQXFR4QOaf51+12FvKhENl2Q+mwsG7jqY=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=DKIM-Signature:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MIMEOLE; b=qUAf9KehxGZFNvN8MXdOFw2Qu09mM4cvGirDuF/J6zmPL2cuD0CJtTtpcNAjFMRMRtMAT5rDeq8+kcjW7XC3X+XNZkXL1aSoXp6fTGXdjXYPYZeqiB1fmybFL/nSKrCqQtWgNIU+dAbLCvLm68GZYsoiA+q/503JD9Mp5vLhYWY= ;
Sender: [email protected]

Dear John, LF Groups,

I have been trying to measure the resistance and reactance of various resistors at this frequency and have had difficulty getting a good resistive balance....
...The bridge is a GR1606A...
...For resistances of the order of 100 ohms and higher I do not seem to have a problem. For resistances of the order of 10 ohms I do not seem able to get a decent balance.

I found the manual and schematic for this bridge at http://www.k7jrl.com/pub/manuals/gr/1606/GR%201606-A%20RF%20Bridge.pdf. Looking at the circuit, the "Unknown" arm of the bridge consists of the impedance being measured plus a 390 ohm resistor, 220pF "initial balance" variable capacitor and 220pF "reactance" capacitor all in series. Assuming these capacitors are near mid-range when balancing your 10ohm resistor, the reactance of the resulting 55pF series capacitance at 137kHz is about 21 kohms. So the reactive component of the unknown arm impedance is about 2000 times larger than the resistive component, and the null will be correspondingly about 2000 times more sensitive to a fractional change in capacitance as it is to a fractional change in resistance. This all means that, in order to get a sharp null when adjusting the resistance control, you will also need to adjust the reactance control very precisely, and you will need to get the null depth down to say 80dB or more to get a good resistance reading. I doubt it is possible to adjust the reactance control that precisely - it will go out of balance if you give it as much as a funny look! If you are measuring 100 ohms, the problem is made 10 times easier, of course.

A related problem is that the resistive component measurement will be very sensitive to dielectric losses in the capacitors, which have very high impedances at low frequencies - this will lead to frequency-dependent errors that become larger as the frequency decreases.

I guess that, excellent though bridges of this sort are, their makers had to optimise the design for the particular range of frequencies and impedances they thought their customers would most like to use it for. The GR1606A seems to be aimed mainly at the MF/HF range, so I suppose compromises must be accepted at LF. If you just want to measure resistance, you might be better off adapting a simple "noise bridge" circuit as often appears in the amateur handbooks, provided the parasitic reactance of your resistors is fairly small.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU