Re: LF: Cardioid RX antenna for LF...

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Cardioid RX antenna for LF...
From: "Clemens Paul" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 19:46:44 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Clemens you need to be careful about extrpolating this information!! dont
forget that skywave at HF comes generally  from the F layer which can be
600km up. LF signals come from the lower E-region or upper D-regoin at
around an apparent altitude of about 90km. There will be little difference
in arrival angle between stations over 700km away, and at about 2000km (or
1000km in daytime) they arrive at zero degrees.

Alan,

thanks for that.
My last email was focused on *how* the special 'reverse mode' operation
of G3LNP's K9AY variant works, but I didn't think further about the usability
of the reverse mode beam steering for LF.
My own K9AY which uses only a vactrol, no reactance tuning,
has two loops with 25m circumference each.
It gives excellent F/B ratio,~25dB, on MW and LW,e.g. I can separate DLF
on 153kHz (500kW) completely from Brasov/Romania (300kW).
I think both should arrive at zero degrees?
In winter 2010/11 I could decode WSPR transmissions from across the pond with 1W ERP
and most active UK WSPR stations, one with 1mW ERP.
Recently also a few but not all active CW stations from the UK could be heard.

73
Clemens
DL4RAJ

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>