LF: 475 kHz exciter

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: 475 kHz exciter
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 00:48:14 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Hi John, MF,

Sounds good! How many steps left until i see you on the band? :-)

These days i'm building a PA for the coming 630m band. It already works but i need a suitable VFO to drive the FETs. I've been playing with a frequency generator based on a CD4093 and a 4013. With a RC circuit on the NAND gate i'm generating a 950 kHz signal which is then divided by 2 to obtain 475 kHz. It works but the frequency is drifting several 100 Hz in a minute, so actually it does not work anyway ;-)

I've been thinking about using the 2nd D Flipflop of the 4013 and build a divide by 4 circuit. With this exciter one could easily use a HF TRX like the IC-706 and drive the exciter by transmitting QRP in the 160m band. 1900 kHz will then result in 475 kHz and the frequency accuracy should be fine. In Split-mode one could transmit on 160m and receive directly on MF. Using 3x 150 Ohm / 2W in parallel and another 1 kOhm resistor in series with 2 antiserial Z-diodes should be OK for driving the input of the 4013 and getting a perfect SWR for the TRX... Maybe this is how i will do it.

But a SI570 based VFO which is part of the PA circuit would be very nice. I like it ultra-compact so a tiny LCD showing the frequency and a direct key-input should be fine. Also some up / down buttons should work. I simply have to learn how to work with the PIC/ATMEL stuff...

Once the PA is complete i will publish the circuit here. It runs on 12V DC, class-D, 2x IRFZ48N, FT140-77, a 7667 driver, 4 stage LPF using resonant circuits are used, 6.8 nF + 50 turns @ T80-2 and a switch for 2 power levels 10W/100W is planned... Dimensions of the complete PA are 0.1m x 0.15m x 0.03m

73, Stefan/DK7FC