Re: LF: Q What are the permitted suffixes to the call these days ?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Q What are the permitted suffixes to the call these days ?
From: John Rabson <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 09:54:13 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Graham,

What is permitted depends on who your licensing authority is.

In the UK (unless things have changed recently):

- Aeronautical Mobile is not permitted,

- /A  for Alternative Address has been reinstated, presumably to distinguish
operation at a postal address other than the one on one's licence from Portable
(at a location not associated with a postal address). Presumably it also makes
life easier for officialdom, although I recall operating away from home when
newly licensed and receiving a telephone call from the local GPO radio section
asking me to drop the “/A” as it was confusing their monitoring station,

- as far as I know the Maritime Mobile suffix (/MM) is still required if you
are operating in tidal waters,

- I do not know whether /B is officially recognised.

Readers please correct me where I got it wrong.

John F5VLF/G3PAI