Re: LF: Re: Current mode class D PA for 475 kHz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Current mode class D PA for 475 kHz
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 16:29:00 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Jay,

Well, i have further questions to you but first yours...

Am 31.05.2012 15:59, schrieb [email protected]:
Stefan

Thanks for the positive comments.

Have to admit I haven't been following what you're up to ... curious what problems you're running into with VMCD at 500 kHz?

I didn't spend much time on the MF PA yet.

First i expected it is very uncomplicated at this frequency. I tried different ferrite cores starting with a FT140-77 (2x6 turns primary, later 2x10) and then a EPCOS core (B64290L0022). Later i thought i can use a much smaller core it this frequency and so i'm using a smaller Epcos core now, size about like a T106.
All PAs are Voltage Mode Class D PAs so far! The driver is a single ICL7667CPA device. It becomes warm but the gate voltage looks very good. If there is only the primary windong on the transformer then the current consumption is about 0.4A at 12VDC. Don't know if this value would be lower if a IXDD614CI would be used but 0.4 A is still "OK". This current rises when the secondary winding is applied and the output band filter is applied (still without a output load) to about 0.7A. Note that my output filter configuration is similar than in my LF PA ( http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19882028/LF/schematics/LF%20H%20bridge%20PA%2C%20DK7FC.png), here at MF starting with a series LC, then parallel, serial and a final parallel filter on the BNC output (6.8nF/16.5uH each).

However there is a heavy oscillation on the Drain-Source during the OFF time, beeing clipped by the FET at arround 60V (losses!) and then falling to 0V. That's the first problem. This is why i thought i should use a smaller core, not so store so much energy in it which oscillates with the output C of the FET then. Indeed, the smaller core allowed to better damp this oscillation with a 220pF and serial 100 Ohm resistor across Drain-Source. Anyway the efficiency is poor.

BUT at least this PA has no problem with a missing load. I think it behaves like a voltage source and also the output filter config should be less critical to mismatch. This is what i like, a PA that is as robust as possible against mismatch.

This leads me to my question about the CMCD config: How critical does it act on a mismatch? What happens if i forget to apply the antenna or so? Regarding mismatch and a robust design, which design will behave better, what do you think?

Also i would prefer to apply the first parallel LC circuit after the transformer first, because the impedance is higher there and it is easier to modify from the current configuration.

Your advice is apprechiated :-)

73, Stefan/DK7FC

Jay

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stefan Schäfer" <[email protected]>