LF: Re: 137 kHz in South America !

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: 137 kHz in South America !
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 23:29:52 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Some news and progress at YV7MAE in Venezuela,

After some days observing DCF39 and trying to find the best ratio and number of turns of the ferrite transformer which is used to separate the the LF receive antenna from the noisy mains ground and for matching the antenna to the RX, we found that the best strength of DCF39 is about 30 dB in 45 mHz. So another way of matching the antenna to the RX must be found.
For some days Martin and his whole radio club searched for a ferrite rod to make a resonated circuit on it.
Now his wife is out for some days and so he found and took the ferrite rod from her radio (he told me so). Without any support he managed to build the circuit with a variable capacitor that was on hand for him. He just got some ideas from the pages of LW2ETU, http://qsl.net/l/lu7eo//Notas_varias/LW2ETU_137_kHz/index.html which is in his language.
All that is mounted in the case of the old PC supply, a very good work with all the limitations he has to live in. See http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19882028/LF/26628.jpg
Now he told me he found a resonance on the LF band.
A friend of his neighbour is on a short trip in Germany and will be back next week. I sent a package to him to the adress in Germany and the friend will carry it to Venezuela. It contains a receiver kit  for LF, the same which is used by TF3HZ. Also a ferrite core and a very small alternative active antenna board, 2cm x 3cm. So maybe this will be an important step to get a better S/N and some first amateur signals into the log.
There is no chance for him to get the parts for building a preamp and the IC703 seems to need a very high input signal. To prevent overloading of this receiver, probably a resonated antenna is needed, which is available now.

So, all in all a nice progress in YV and i think some first tests in the EU60 window can be done soon.
The grabber link again if someone wants to sollow the progress: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/74746618/LF/YV7MAE_LF_Grabber.html

73, Stefan/DK7FC