Re: VLF: DF6NM on 8970.002

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: DF6NM on 8970.002
From: Gerhard Hickl <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:37:58 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Markus, VLF!

This might be true at least partially. In my setup, I'm observing
acoustic noise without the presence of corona discharges. I observed my
antenna in the dark, running about 600mA of antenna current. There was
no "corona" visible but the noise was clearly heard. Definitely it was
not emitted by the loading coil behind the house but I have got the
impression, that it was emitted by the ends of the top-load wires. One
of those ends is even 50m away from the coil, in my neighbours garden.
When walking from my property (where I also have an end of a top-load
wire) up to his plot of land, the noise is decreasing and then getting
louder again under the end of the wire on his property.

In this respect I agree with you. The sound is emitted by the ends of
the top-load wires but it doesn't need a corona-discharge to make the
antenna "noisy" during transmit.

In fact, this behaviour of my antenna is the biggest problem in
transmitting during warm summer (spring) days. My neighbour allowed me
to use one of his trees as a hook of the top-load so I can't bother him
with noise when he's out in the garden.....that's way more than good
neighbourhood could bear.

The more I would be interested in suppressing this noise by suitable
measures.

73
OE3GHB
Gerhard