Re: VLF: DF6NM on 8970.002 - samplerate detector seems ok

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: DF6NM on 8970.002 - samplerate detector seems ok
From: Markus Vester <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 19:11:57 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: [email protected]
In the meantime, I could reproduce the long transient in SpecLab's samplerate lock. It is apparently brought up by a thermal samplerate drift on my netbook after turnon. In the attached screenshot you can see that the samplerate was initiaIly close to +2 ppm, which is outside my 1 ppm capture range. After the SR has drifted into range, the lock indicator turns green, indicating a correct lock. However the "Error Integral", whose magnitude is normally much less than 1, suddenly jumped to an erroneous high value (663552.1). As this number is interpreted as elapsed phase, the output frequency is steered high for about two hours, during which the error creeps slowly back towards zero.

To avoid this situation, you can simply make sure that the capture range is large enough (eg. 5 ppm) to include the "cold" samplerate at startup. In case you do encounter an unplausibly large Error Integral, it can be reset immediately by restarting the samplerate detector (temporarily tick measure only), which brings the system back to the correct frequency within a few seconds.

The effect seems to be peculiar to the MSK detector, I did not see it happen with the Goertzel filters tracking a straight carrier.

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)