LF: Re: Opera v qrs evaluation

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Opera v qrs evaluation
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 21:29:41 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btopenworld.com; s=s1024; t=1328131776; bh=DMGtwTY9DxMFjqOwQiYQ0AITY0e+kYy/UlavvHnFZQE=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=p2wmVa+hVbOPpQAMyPOpvLqyI6qBR0STfgl8JWZTly3wPZDxklfSmoLmCYMVcW1tHzp2GieFcMv1XKB8sBqW8Fsw6TbTw2fQdDJDcBwpbNVn8bju+2kS8Y4jOrSsmRxRN0Fr3b9eTDDfB/J4z4vTl37WQfWkuOV6gW66AjlYj78=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=DKIM-Signature:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=pTHkQuykJ2OvuZFNu8QPh+ea7uOkcCZ0PBWq9oEW+6XF0SVIDLGB885boIUzeyaHJVp3btEKI2iwz/7nDO340EBlMIKj7bPZaEAxQ63xKw7IvhnA7OkCWE3EEq7G2+DU+RMcEiGhWRxkDl/heDGUr0ohTvn7dj1N6i+YhgJ/suQ= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]

Dear Eddie, LF Group,

Was -31dB the limit of decoding for OPERA, ie could you take QRS3 to below copy ability yet get decodes from OPERA even if not 100% of the time.

Overnight, your signal decoded 100% of the time with reported levels down to -32dB SNR, which seems consistent with G0NBD's -34dB minimum figure. This was intended just as a quick "sanity check"experiment - the off-air signal and noise levels are not usually stable enough to get better than a couple of dBs repeatability, so trying to locate the exact threshold at which Opera fails to decode would be long-winded. Rik ON7YD's approach will give more precise results.

But for a realistic simulation, some way of including the effects of QSB is important too, I think, especially for 500kHz modes intended for intermediate to long distances. This is certainly done with HF channel simulations when evaluating different modes. I expect modes such as Opera and WSPR are rather effective with the frequent deep fades that occur on 500k, because of their FEC ability to decode correctly when a fairly large fraction of the transmitted symbols are lost in a fade. This is certainly a problem with using QRSS on this band.

I am still searching for the reason for never a report on my QRS3

I guess there just isn't a large crowd of people listening on 500k, and you would have to be a very conscientious listener to report every signal every time, without being specifically requested to do so. That is certainly a big benefit of the automated reporting possible with Opera and WSPR. It may not give you the "Man Triumphant over the Aether" feeling after spending several hours in a shed with headphones clamped to your ears, but it is nice to know your PC is reporting every detectable signal while you are at work or tucked up in a nice warm bed ;-)

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU