Re: LF: KL7 to Eu results

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: KL7 to Eu results
From: "Roelof Bakker" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 17:14:49 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Laurence,

Maybe this is a bit of topic, but this week we found a new window for listening to NDB's from Alaska. PVQ-376, Put River Deadhorse, has been heard in the UK as early as 14:30 UTC. A little later it faded out in the UK and was heard with a strong signal in Normandy. LUR-385, Cape Lisburne was also heard in Normandy in the afternoon here, around 15:30 UTC.
Though just 200 km to the east, I could not hear these signals.
Last night PVQ-376 was incredible strong for hours starting at 03:00 UTC.
When I switched the radio on this afternoon, PVQ-376 was already audible and I listen to it while I type this.

Now a question for the propagation experts.
At the time the aurora index was 5.
Should it be possible for these signals to pass over the pole, or is the path probably along the border of the oval zone and along the Russian Arctic Sea coast and off the coast of Norway?

73,
Roelof, pa0rdt