Re: LF: UPC/APC and UPS's

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: UPC/APC and UPS's
From: Bill de Carle <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 08:40:28 -0500
Sender: [email protected]

After numerous brief power outages here causing problems with my GPS-monitored OCXO, I finally put everything critical on a couple of UPS's (APC-400). Noticed switching noise on 137 Khz when AC plugs were pulled for a test but not otherwise. Overnight I turn computers off except for a little netbook that runs the grabber. If power should fail its battery is good for a couple hours at least and laptops/netbooks seem to be very well shielded and contribute negligible noise compared to a desktop. You might consider getting a netbook (probably for less $ than a good UPS).

Thanks for your Alaska snapper - was watching it yesterday looking for JA7NI.

73,
Bill VE2IQ