LF: Eu to AK

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Eu to AK
From: Laurence KL7UK <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 05:59:49 -0900
Sender: [email protected]
Thanks Stefan - well that was my first documented Eu to AK dusk (and it was a beautiful one by all accounts) 136Khz opening, so thats more than interesting...

 - I must admit I nearly missed it as the Dell PC was playing "hunt the clocking speed" game with me last night and again this morning where it suddenly shifts 20Hz (as previously described) - but you actually only shift about 5Hz high as I was taking audio for you at only 172Hz etc - Im not convinced theres something else going on when the PC is being really stressed and given the work with Markus on Loranview know "odd things happen" because of allocation and general "Shady Windows dealings" I was certainly pushing the CPU - Ive disabled the internal soundcard and it appeared that that had solved it but no -

 Its interesting to try to fault find on this rubbery link and really can relate to people working on issues when responses from the remote end is hours and not just seconds. We are also still having AC power outages cos of the weather and falling trees/heavy snow - we gained another 0.5m last night

Im looking at the differences between the K9AY and probe and HGA22 as a weak source and it appears, as we postulated, that there is some variation in wave angle as received even with the K9AY being scaled - certainly the probe is King for a couple of mins and the K9AY the next but I cant discount local noise as the source difference at this time. At absolute RF levels the probe produces a lot more "level" (Im choosing my words), and only by judicious leveling/attenuation can I make a true evaluation - but in simplistic terms at least Ive got two antennaes that work on long range!!

ps I purchased a 1500W "Sine" wave UPS which is coming to Oklahoma for a shake down before I ship and get installed in AK - cheaper option and will also alleviate some other devices that need to stay up on AC - as we havent had a lot of wind yet, and thats a major reason for power outages, it looks like it may be a poor year for the AC distribution grid.

thanks again for the signal - Im checking the last night at the Opera now.
Laurence KL7UK remotely operated from Blue skied Oklahoma