Re: LF: OPERA NEW VERSION - 3/2/2012 1726 Hrs z

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: OPERA NEW VERSION - 3/2/2012 1726 Hrs z
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 17:44:41 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=LfO89abI7v24M8+Orh55Z8gMHCmzvmitRN/vdMNs96g=; b=lNnDAUVj6/kuQFFByyC0t9KHOhnis2ZCFAr4LKG2hQR1IOFJj0BYSWu72ayRK8EAjf 1cCzYTCU7U2+rlLNzBxmkFq2m+4R1Ek2Hj3CA6Yea6F6f2gCx6hQr3Kzdpr5D7L5FReB axauWWkPXsr0DlHkSvu1QJc7gbm/a81cDxubo=
Sender: [email protected]
Can the intermet connection / messages be turned off.  I realise why
the facility is there, and your comments about WSPR having it are
quite valid, but WSPR always was designed as a beacon mode only and
the database reporting was completely open and documented right from
the start.  Everyone knew it would upload spots - there was a button
to enable it to do so right in the middle of the screen

But when I used the first version of Opera the other day, and received
the report that I was shown as transmitting, it came as a very big and
nasty shock, and thoughts immediately turned to Viruses and Trojans
and malicious code.

So its essential that for testing the mode has a way of completely
turning off the web reporting (short of using it on a non web
connected PC)

The casual user / tester  can get very worried when non documented
software is suddenly shown to be sending IP packets.  VIsions of
passwords and usernames being sent to distant lands cannot be
erradicated completely

Andy
www.g4jnt.com