Re: LF: Wolf settings

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Wolf settings
From: John Andrews <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 10:07:56 -0500
Sender: [email protected]

Terry,

Alas, we've lost the Loran calibration method over here. My current approach is to use a 1 kHz signal divided from a 10 MHz GPS-disciplined source. That signal is used for two things:

1. It makes an old-fashioned "crystal calibrator" to nail down the receiver frequency calibration at the nearest 1 kHz point. Since that error varies with frequency, I wind up using different corrections for 137 kHz and the U.S. Lowfer allocation.

2. It allows easy calibration of the sound card sampling rate by feeding the tone (rectangular or not) into the sound card input and using the routines in WOLF or SpecLab to come up with the actual sampling rate.

The accuracy of the receiver output is important only to be sure that the signal is within the nominal 1 Hz passband. It makes no difference in the quality of copy if the frequency error is reported as 0.01 or 0.498 Hz. Of course, with the transmitted and received frequencies closely established, you do get a feeling for when the decoder may be locking onto something real.

The sampling rate determination is essential to the build-up of copy in WOLF. With a strong signal, you'll probably be OK with a default value. But in copying a weak signal, if you notice that the framing "jm:" values are creeping, then the sampling rate is suspect.

In your case, where everything is more tightly integrated, I'm not sure. The best test would be to have a weak WOLF signal to work with...you may have already nailed things down with your Loran calibration. Armed with the results of a successful capture, any faults should be obvious.

John, W1TAG