Re: VLF: WOLF, next step..

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: WOLF, next step..
From: Bill de Carle <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 16:33:35 -0500
Sender: [email protected]

Stefan:
I wouldn't change the phase reversal time - if you announce to the world you're transmitting WOLF-10 that means phase transitions can occur only at exact multiples of 100 milliseconds - everyone's receiver will make that assumption. Don't worry about sync-ing phase shifts to the zero crossings of the audio waveform, let's see if your computer-to-computer test works first. You can specify a relaxed tolerance for the receiver: e.g. +/- 2 Hz away from the nominal carrier frequency to allow for slightly different sample rates at Tx, Rx. Ultimately for long term coherent integration both Tx and Rx must agree on the timing but for a first test with a strong signal (just to see if everything is working), you won't need that. For longer integration times it is probably better to use a GPS-stabilized DDS to directly generate the WOLF signal at the Tx end. I find sound card sampling rates are stable enough for WOLF once everything has warmed up a bit. It's not the small instabilities that will hurt, it's that the absolute sample rate must be known accurately and entered to allow the Rx clock to keep same time as the Tx clock. Did you download that .wav file I made last night? I intended that only for testing your Tx to see what the sidebands look like with no waveform envelope shaping. Don't expect anyone else to copy that message unless your sample rate is very close to 24000 s/s and the signal strength at the Rx is high enough to enable decoding within seconds, not minutes or hours.
Good luck!
73,
Bill VE2IQ