Re: LF: XGJ in TF

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: XGJ in TF
From: Warren Ziegler <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 19:48:28 -0500
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Stefan,
           Output power is the same as before, approx 1100 Watts with a modified Decca.
The difference is likely less than 3dB, one coax was RG-11, the other is RF-214/u silver plated dual shield. The RG-11 was up longer and finally broke, the RG-214/u was added latter.
The RG-214 has a noticeably lower resistance as one might expect.
When running two loops in parallel my ERP was measured at 4W (actually within a range of 3.5-4.4W)

I live in New England which is heavily wooded. I have experimented with verticals but the ground loss is high due rocky soil is very high.

If you have very lossy ground it is unlikely that you will see a benefit with a Litz wire loading coil as the ground losses >> than the coil loss.

I also started a small fire with the vertical due to the high voltages - and this was when running only 250W out.
I have settled on loops as best for my location, but even then I had to put in considerable effort to make sure that the tuner could handle the high currents without over heating.

--
73 Warren K2ORS
                WD2XGJ