Re: LF: XGJ in TF

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: XGJ in TF
From: Warren Ziegler <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 20:14:02 -0500
Sender: [email protected]
Stefan,
    I just re-read your post, I gather you are asking about Litz wire as a loop conductor?
My friend Bill Ashlock tried using ex-Decca Litz wire as a loop and found that it was too fragile, individual strands broke and the wire became more lossy than conventional wire.
I am considering using large diameter aluminum wire, the conductivity is of course not quite as good as copper but the skin depth is greater so that the net result is that Al is 33% more lossy than copper at LF frequencies but Al is only about 25% of the weight as Cu (also Al is about 25% of the cost of copper) so for the same weight of wire Al should be superior.

--
73 Warren K2ORS
                WD2XGJ