Re: LF: Re: TA 137 kHz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: TA 137 kHz
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 19:52:53 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Alan,

Am 06.12.2011 12:35, schrieb Alan Melia:
[...] One must remember that the display of grabbers is very non-linear
there is only about a 3dB change in signal strength to go from T to O and
then little obvious change until it "dog-bones", so they are not ideal for
seeing the detail of fading on a signal which it at least O, except when it
drops right out.
Hm, well, but within SpecLab you know you can configure a coloured spectrogram where the colour is related to the signal strength. And you can directly read the signal level or/and the S/N. Depending on how sharp the contrast is adjusted, - which is also visible on the clour bar in most spectrograms -, a changing signal level can be clearly seen, even if a signal remains at "O copy". This is what i saw yesterday. Also you can configure a plotter that shows you a dip, either in signal levels or in the background noise. Such a plot is running on the TF3HZ grabber as well, which gives further interesting informations about daily LF propagation.

  You are also seeing not a real signal strength but more a
S/N display which depends very much on local noise conditions.
As long as a the noiseblanker and/or clipper and/or AGC is activated (which is mostly the case) i agree :-)

Great work keep it up!
Thank you. I hope to leave some traces in 5X today, which is the last night of the 5X grabber as Alex stated.
Also keep up the good work and discussions.

Best 73, Stefan/DK7FC

Best Wishes
Alan G3NYK