Re: LF: Re: TA 137 kHz

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: TA 137 kHz
From: "mal hamilton" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 15:50:20 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Alan es Co
Grabbers are useful as a rough guide to propagation but I also have
reservations when it comes to signal measurements. ie Grababer locations and
environmental noise, Type of antenna at site. For instance I  often display
a more intense trace on the 4X1 grabber than the YO grabber at the same time
frame, although YO is much closer to me. Although for convenience small
antennas are normally used at grabbers ie Mini Probes, small Loops they do
not yield the same results as stations using large verticals, large loops
and arrays of long wires.
I have tried small antennas, including one commercial small loop and the
signals from the smaller antennas are as much as 20 dB down in strength,
therefore weak signals would not even be detected on the small antennas.
I understand the argument that in noisy environments large antennas do not
work, but in quiet locations they are excellent performers, they do pick up
some noise but the signal over noise is still away above the others.
There is no substitute for Rhombics, V - Beams, High verticals,  and inv L
antennas if you have the space, these antennas erected as high as possible
also contribute to low angle of radiation, hence better for long haul DX
even on LF both for TX es RX

de mal/g3kev