LF: Re: Full ID or just a suffix?

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Full ID or just a suffix?
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 20:08:54 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btinternet.com; s=s1024; t=1319485262; bh=vzLUl6K/25Fe7FBPLuZ6pqYm7JgLTd6vHPkJBp+npEE=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Antivirus:X-Antivirus-Status; b=YoBxpq6d9LxpObz4O/rR/tI5EJBZYhSovqwaFmsRcsKbQFEDhT9bDl/EbS42mfesD2quMhT+nflFV882tJ9FJYPFv/LKs5XK3dtVLobPN87DrTTZwalF9z42ZbrrH9sbuX8Ym7pPHknmJNl4ey36vQvHATh3jQB2v+lUF2mdIR0=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=DKIM-Signature:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Antivirus:X-Antivirus-Status; b=DtAfzWsVXqnnVRqUZHsg0oLQldeGrfbHa7ValykEaMkmSy11hkzj14l3AIHQU7zzv5oSZNZn6BytcV4i/VMJ8XnAV99HK0sE6tuoUIK0DqRupVa9RjBvXkAMVdtDV4SOau635md22Y252DhIIx5lpKLZPqR68gS1FA20f/8NcPw= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Stefan just work out how long it takes to send something like YO0QJY at
QRSS-60 and in general you dont get all the call anyway at distance due to
the fading. You usually get the prefix everytime and the suffix is in the
fade, which is not a lot of good at confirming the ID of a weak signal. :-))
The use of just a prefix shortened the time to complete a QSO, and got to be
used in CQs (without the CQ :-))  ) and eventually in beacons..

The technique that used to be used was to sent 5 - 10wpm CW in a dash for
local stations say every complete call or every 15 mins. It does smear the
trace at short range but is perfectly OK at distance. These were often
missed as a lot dont listen when using the waterfall, and some thought the
TX was going unstable.

My guess is the queries come from stations who are receiving big signals so
would read the morse. The slower speed is sometimes better for weak signal
reception. Any Google of "136kHz "should lead to Riks page which will
explain all this. There is often the same problem with meteor-scatter and
satellite comms and maybe VHF moonbounce....lots of amateurs dont keep up
with the happenings. :-))

If the station is using a digital mode it is even more difficult.

Alan G3NYK