Re: LF: Full ID or just a suffix?

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Full ID or just a suffix?
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 21:50:06 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
oh yes Stefan, this has been debated before...

I guess it should be each to his own, and I would not like to engage in a discussion of what is required for a "valid detection".

Personally I often (but not always) prefer to send just a suffix, because
- longer intervals between shorter transmissions gives me more time to receive, and saves power and potential QRM,
- with QSB, its more likely to detect a shorter string (especially from poor souls like me who are less equipped TX-wise ;
-).
- suffixes are easy to memorize and fairly unique (the only exception I'm aware of are the two AGC's). However single-letter strings have often been confusing.
- sending suffixes is standard practice in the QRSS QSO procedure (after the exchange of the full call), and they are easy to memorize.

Just my 5 cent's worth.

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)

Sent: Monday, October 24, 2011 8:14 PM
Subject: LF: Full ID or just a suffix?

Dear LF group and QRSS-60 TXing stations,

I want to start a discussion that may have been done before.

This is a forwarded message, showing the typical problem of newcomers who do not know what they receive if a station just transmitts a suffix.
I find this is a pity.
Maybe someone can expain me why just the suffix is sent? There is a lack of information as long as the receiving station is not a member of this reflector.
It is not the only example. I got at least 4 mails within the last months, where new stations asked what station that is.

Usually there are plenty of grabbers available which make ID clear. Even if a full callsign is lost in the QSB, there is a chance to verify who it must have been. Frequency and time can help to identify the traces. So why transmitting 8x GH instead of 3x GM3GH (an example) which could help to find an ID? I one receive a full call and is not a member of the reflector, there is a chance to find further informations in the web (qrz.com, and so on).

Room for thought, as Mal would say.

73, Stefan/DK7FC

(reduced the original screenshot in size)

-------- Original-Nachricht --------