Re: LF: VE7TIL long integration grabber online...

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: VE7TIL long integration grabber online...
From: Scott Tilley <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 19:10:58 -0700
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Stefan

In the past three years since I began prolonged 'low noise' listening November has traditionally been the beginning of good opportunities for EU/VE7 DX. However, DCF39 has surprised me this year with decent showings already! A couple of nights ago it reached audible levels!

This isn't a new effort, G3PLX and I worked on a similar study about 6 years ago but I and he where limited by noise and a small TX antenna in my case and him by a limited LF RX system.

I'd tweek out that system of yours and be ready to lobe some RF over this way as I have a feeling that we may get some good opportunities this season... Timing is key...! You need to be ahead of the curve here.

My personal goal is to see if it is possible to detect an amateur EU station in VE7. I have no concerns about the usability of the signal until we demonstrate that its even possible.

As a suggestion on how to get QRO with 100% keydown, consider using many smaller stages combined to produce lots of power rather than one stage pushed to the edge of meltdown. This strategy reduces the need to stress a single stage when pushing everything you can out of it. My MOALFA is capable of 2KW keydown all night long and uses 4 stages combined into one output. I use a lumped four port Wilkinson Combiner. As an added 'bonus' you get 'free' output filtering without the need for more components (and loses). Jay, W1VD has a similar design in which he uses a transformer arrangement to do the combining which allows him to use it on 600m but does require additional output filtering for each band, a classic engineering compromise!

With my combined stage amp the only time I lost a transistor was when I melted the dummy load during qualification testing years ago... Since then I've logged hundreds of hours on the same transistors.

I believe the DECCA TX also uses a combiner approach to achieve high reliability at QRO.

Another advantage is you can build a couple of identical transmitters and separate them for other tasks etc. VE7SL and I did this during one of our first ZL attempts years back.

Just make sure you use one LO path and only ONE digital division device to drive the driver ICs. The reason for only one digital division device is based on the fact a Type D flip flop (or otherwise) can start in any one of four phases on power up. If you have two as in the case of a two complete TX combiner situation you'll need to reset the power on one until it matches the other...

GL over there!

73 Scott