Re: LF: Ferrite antennas

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Ferrite antennas
From: Daniele Tincani <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 14:22:26 +0100 (BST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=1315833746; bh=D1Nn2K62Rc7D+KmUb9ksQhQvqBk2keKfcs1Ry2I+FxU=; h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=31sgAKjP4LcwixPNeuYOa5AaToiZYh+ygmtMj89ttxKQnqzk9DulqMb1L905Hs+Hv9mvhf2wmF06cnLdy7tl/7ciDGqYGBd+GdIHDTYpTKQ4/3Zh2iDerJBsUKBphE+0BPKIpq59ohPYouz62vm3Se2GfhgXTURLo6ePIaZyb2g=
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Mike, LF,

I'm waiting from ferrites and litz wire to arrive from eBay, then I will be able to start my experiments for a wideband ferrite-cored antenna covering as much as possible of LF. Major uncertainties for me are on the mechanical construction, I mean: inner shielding (between the rod and the coil) vs. outer shielding; compact winding vs. longer coil (how long?); leaving some space between the coil and the core or not; etc..
As there are so many design parameters to consider, I would like to fix some at least. So I plan to start with inner shielding only - made by slotted aluminium tube (outer shield can be added later for test); compact winding (should be OK with litz); piece of PVC tube used both as a spacer (between the rod and the coil) and a isolating mechanical support for 2-3 stacked rods (20cm each) in further tests.
I would like to know if anyone on the LF reflector has comments/results about using a plastic spacer (e.g. PVC tube) between the core and the coil. The tube is 16mm outer diameter, while the ferrites are 10mm. If there are not real advantages in having more space between the rod and the coil, then I think the aluminium tube used for inner shielding could be sufficient also as the mechanical support for winding.

Best regards
Daniele