Re: LF: Weak signal on 137780.3

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Weak signal on 137780.3
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 01:18:54 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Markus, Jay,

Very interesting! Congratulations to this result.

73, Stefan/DK7FC

Am 04.09.2011 15:56, schrieb Markus Vester:
Excellent Jay, thanks very much! I am really happy about this result. Attached is a spectrum graph, showing your peak at 3:16 UT,  with about 12 to 14 dB SNR in the 0.438 mHz FFT.

Do I understand you correctly in that you transmitted a continuous carrier, without a frequency step? Then the apparent 3.8 mHz shift must have been a transient propagational Doppler effect. Remarkably, this lines up with observations of John Andrew's tests in 2006, which had also shown two long stable runs, with a dip and rapid phase change inbetween. The dip seems to roughly coincide with midnight crossing over the middle of the path, but I'm not aware of any simple physical explanation for this.

BTW Your transmit situation must be similar to mine: I have about 200 W available into a Marconi antenna, which is about 0.1 percent efficient now, and up to twice that in a cold winter night.

Best regards, and thanks again for the test
Markus (DF6NM)

Sent: Sunday, September 04, 2011 1:27 PM

Markus

The mystery signal was from WD2XNS ... you have the time and frequency perfectly correct and the color DF also provides corroborating evidence. Note that there was no break in the transmission. The frequency is controlled by a GPS disciplined oscillator (accuracy about 13 ppt). Transmitter power was 200 watts ... radiated power is not known. During winter, with frozen ground, additional radials, lower R and less foliage, the radiated power would have been about 0.5 watt. Expect last night's test would be at least 3 - 6 dB (maybe more) below that level.

Jay W1VD  WD2XNS  WE2XGR/2