LF: Re: Minimum carrier detect level -140 dBm is that good ?

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Minimum carrier detect level -140 dBm is that good ?
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 23:26:01 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btinternet.com; s=s1024; t=1313966746; bh=heyLq+IeoKl59nahuj8UmAimYxaNwOBEBu8HTYGJLok=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Antivirus:X-Antivirus-Status; b=dDzG1igyEel0NQoyJt/J5fTBF/h8vHKwjeWgfrIYimeaH+s90Uoituj/bKoVEuovi7hFhzIn4k16rxZVtANy9Cc7B9PRqjxfwP4GUuXJRwjo6TsJISPc2xLUuPiuSuaQYaR211SrqLx0WtZBbVABTWos/XNXDW+ZPcIv3J1fufQ=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=DKIM-Signature:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Antivirus:X-Antivirus-Status; b=w6ZNpmopB6whVN651obduBqjTDwNAUm6RbEICKIHL2K46tQMjJU1X5qCTf1hJJsk54Sg59E8o9bQjfe41SJqq1gm/8QHS8b4NA5dY+jxN0UyWthK1X/s1cghUC6dCKFcPxqGDO9uh+Kb0iZPgrEQ4SFt9b/GotgE/0QoBsOWkDs= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Graham it may not enough to remove the sig gen output and terminate it.
You must also ensure that the braid is connected (in some way) to the aerial
ground of the receiver to ensure that there is no cable leakage through the
ground connection. It is probably ok But it depeneds on the quality of the
generator. Many Marconi generators have a ferrite choke on the coax to the
attenuator to ensure that signal does not leak past the attenuator. Ideally
use a good VHF attenuator outboard which has an "off position".  You then
set the same level with a mixture on internal and external attenuator
settings. (This really shows up poor case isolation) At these sort of levels
getting genuine test signal levels can be quite tricky. All the receivers
are good quality and would be expected to have a good performance but then
again this would be meaured/specified in quite a wide bandwidth compared
with the one you are probably measuring in.

As a guide after a lot of care I found I could just detect  a 5nV signal on
a waterfall above the receiver noise (AOR 7030) I cannot now be sure what
the effective bandwidth was but I had a 2kHz wide waterfall.....so I am
guessing it might have been about 2Hz. this would equate to around -154dBm
(I think) It obviously depends on the receiver noise which may vary and the
levels you quote would not have been unreasonable or have degraded the
signal in say a 500Hz bandwidth. I did this test prior to Spec Lab becomming
available when the waterfall s/w was a bit primitive, and I have not
repeated it.
To give a clue I think I was running Win3.1 on that machine, at best it
would have been W95. I think the program was FFTDSP45 on a floppy from the
US for $30 !!

Alan
G3NYK