LF: Re: CW sked on 137 friday morning?

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: CW sked on 137 friday morning?
From: Minto Witteveen <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 00:23:04 +0200
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:from:to:subject:date:mime-version:content-type :x-priority:x-msmail-priority:importance:x-mailer:x-mimeole; bh=o9yFk3MYCyzDQ2eZqwsq6H5iV6nG7BDBHpxp449a3OQ=; b=UWf3TcF3XKF26LLUIIulkljJHK3/lw0wZd25wVsnK7FhnoAcUuKcv2kes8ExQzYTV9 5eEcxKqU+2lZ2kVrDskHBw1o8GroUtpIXfkYP+612gW2Re9ZFJcAXVsHNdHvwgEaWbHa 8jhQngYUa+7fkAbZyaw6m4XO+OjJ7qlHA3wmg=
Sender: [email protected]
Did I write ‘manual AGC’ ?
Obviously I meant to write manual (IF) gain control.

Minto pa3bca

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse

Sent: Monday, August 08, 2011 00:20
Subject: Re: CW sked on 137 friday morning?

Hi Stefan,

Let me try to explain a bit better what I have done. When I disable the AGC of the FT897 I need to dial-down the manual AGC in order to avoid overloading the IF AND the AF sections when tuned to DCF39. (If I don’t  DCF39 sounds horribly distorted). With this setting I measure the LF output of the 879 with Speclab.
With the same manual AGC setting I tune to say 137.700 and measure the LF output again with Speclab. But because the manual AGC is dialed down significantly the band noise ‘drops through’ the noise floor of the FT897. So this method is unusable to determine the strenght of DCF39 w.r.t. to the noise.

If I dial up the AGC (or set it on auto again) the noise floor increases with about 10 dB when I connect the antenna, I think this should be enough..

By the way, this moment I can not only see your CQ with Speclab, but with headphones I can even hear you.

Regards,

Sent: Sunday, August 07, 2011 23:29
Subject: Re: LF: Re: CW sked on 137 friday morning?

Hi Minto,