Re: LF: Netbooks for WSPR and Spectrum Lab?

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Netbooks for WSPR and Spectrum Lab?
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 22:52:54 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btopenworld.com; s=s1024; t=1314827513; bh=isDyqsmKL07SeYjjde5LxmEhTeh29CvuAfOSteTVLUg=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=g7SOzciO8ElNch3ZomsStwLYzbqr4bP5f7rpJfhmfDg0+Tz1hrBucQX61RV5bImlzqhjlC2c4h+3bICrsZxh+AR7dGmpR+NktdO2I4l7piGXhAtHOQRaDJgDDNVCXNlN3TUpvcHFXlh1yEA3VPG0YnJ47vwtYhvnIdSrSn3KYXk=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=DKIM-Signature:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=sDfNu6SEGTXqM6e9zPcr1eRQWJQ8+zhVphVawahl4s1i2yFPUJyWoNjbfgFS0UMYwI9HlaQuJlDF+4hJiEewKOd87y/bNEy//mOoUU0TtroJCPzwUqlSO9q4YS+Ay+cQxlGLsxZL3ApqetqD2Sv/7pkr5ZsUvVAl9hbHqS6aAHI= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]

Dear Roger, Costas, LF Group,

I have recently had similar audio problems with a Compaq CQ10 netbook. This has a single 4-pole 3.5mm socket for audio in/out from the sound card, which is not actually compatible with any audio leads I have.... It seems to have some sort of sensing circuit which detects whether headphones or microphone are connected to a particular audio socket pin and route the signals accordingly - which doesn't seem to work most of the time, with the sound card reverting to the internal microphone. There also seems to be some sort of low-pass filter, which restricts the upper audio frequency irrespective of the sampling rate. Also, the audio socket appears to be "floating", with no direct ground continuity to the rest of the machine, causing noise problems with the high RF field strengths at this QTH. Quite what is wrong with just having one socket for audio in and another for audio out I don't know... The audio output seems to work OK.

Most of the time I use it with the SDR-IQ RX, or a USB sound card, for which it is fine. It may be possible to make the audio input work properly - I haven't really investigated. But I would definitely recommend looking for a netbook with seperate audio sockets, just so that you get the full soundcard stereo input/output functionality.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU