Re: LF: Re: LF RX loop

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: LF RX loop
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 15:46:03 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Peter, Clemens, Jim, LF,

Before a few days i have bought a new copper tube with 18mm diameter and 1mm thickness. I formed a loop with 1m diameter. This time i put 2 copper plates into the tube and hammered it at this point where it was fixed later on a non conducting material block. Then i directly soldered the caps on this plate which was quite easy done with a big soldering iron. I need slightly more C, somewhat above 500 nF. Actually the caps are the same types, so the problem must (mainly) have been the short wires between copper tube and caps in the last version.
A photo is here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19882028/LF/LF%20RX%20Loop.JPG
This time i'm achieving a Q of 176 in a first attempt although i want to use even more suitable caps later. In this measurement the center frequency was 137.72 kHz, the 3 dB points are at 137.31 and 138.09 kHz which sounds very good to me. Later i want to add a switch with some additional caps to make QSY to the CW region on LF which should be no problem
This design is really robost and thus most suitable for a /p rig! It even works indoors , in contrast to the E field antenna.
As Jim i found no better NPN Transistors  like the ZTX690B for this loop preamp and they are available at RS so i will exactly build this amp and am very optimistic about the results!

One more question: Does it make sense (regarding good SNR) to further try to improve the Q or does it just make frequency adjustment complicated? If the dynamic range of my soundcard can handle the signal of DCF39 and DCF49 and DLF and i should have no problem, right? The background noise should be limited by the band noise only of course. Is there a straight dependency of gain and Q?

Thanks for further opinions and advice.

73, Stefan/DK7FC