LF: RE: LF RX loop

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: RE: LF RX loop
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 15:09:42 +0200
Accept-language: nl-NL, nl-BE
Acceptlanguage: nl-NL, nl-BE
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Stefan,

based on 470nF and 137kHz the inductance is only 0.47uH (what means XL = 0.4
Ohm). As Q = XL/R for a Q = 8 the loss resistance is 0.05 Ohm.
This seems acceptable to me. Due to the very low XL it will be hard to get a
high Q (eg. for Q = 100 you would need to reduce the losses to 0.004 Ohm.
The low DCF39 signal is probabaly caused by the low Q.
I think the best way to get a better Q is to use a multi turn loop.

About nulling the loop: multipath can be the cause of poor nulling, but I have
experienced that the main reason is that the loop also acts a bit as a
electrical antenna, with a omnidirectional pattern ruins the null's. Best way
to avoid this is electrical shielding of the loop.

73, Rik  ON7YD - OR7T