LF: Tweeks at VE7TIL

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Tweeks at VE7TIL
From: Markus Vester <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 08:28:29 -0400
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Scott,

thanks for sharing this fascinating tweeks recording.

I ran your wav through spectrogram, and have attempted to graphically estimate the source distance from the knee delay. The cutoff frequency of the ionospheric TE/TM modes was 1.80 kHz, related to a reflection height of 83 km. The arithmetics of multiple hops show that the time between the start of the tweek and the crossover at fc*2/sqrt(3) = 2.08 kHz should be identical to the groundwave propagation delay.

In your recording, there appeared to be two populations of tweeks, one at approximately 7 ms delay (2100 km), and the other at twice that range (14 ms, 4200 ms). If you recorded two channels with orthogonal loops, you could take bearings and directly plot the discharges on a map.

Best 73,
MArkus (DF6NM)