Re: LF: Re: CW beacon "BRK" on 137.00khz ???????

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: CW beacon "BRK" on 137.00khz ???????
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 17:24:02 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Gerhard, Jim,

so this would look like a case of 3x LO harmonic mixing? This is actually one of the fundamental drawbacks of a direct converting receiver. For good dynamic range, you want to drive the mixer hard by a squarewave, but that introduces unwanted sensitivity around all odd LO harmonics. So for a wideband tunable receiver, you would require a set of switched octave filters.

I own a preselector-less "FiFi-SDR" IQ-receiver, which is also suffering heavily from that effect, especially at LF due to mediumwave broadcast stations. Instead of adding the filter bank, I am actually considering to convert it to a high-IF superhet with another mixer in the frontend.

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)

Sent: Saturday, April 30, 2011 1:16 PM
Subject: LF: Re: CW beacon "BRK" on 137.00khz ???????

Dear Gerhard, LF Group,

There is an NDB "BRK" listed  near Vienna on 408kHz, which is 3 x 136kHz.
Allowing for +/- a little frequency for the AM sidebands this could be what
you are hearing - the active whip would pick this up, but a tuned TX antenna
would attenuate it considerably. Perhaps a bit more preselection required?

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU