LF: VLF - G3XIZ - Now QRT

To: LF Group <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: VLF - G3XIZ - Now QRT
From: Chris Osborn <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 19:07:06 +0100 (BST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.co.uk; s=s1024; t=1303063626; bh=WBmMxXOhbCyNfI3z1v4KnuXU7VIvfxK4G6W29i5plGg=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=IWi9qu+A7un1vlVMznkC0HFPMlyM/3W+8eiCCAWTaCqsc9vgouEAyLIB/cv6iluNdK8d1N2a59cOH14Qom6GYV4mpy+bGJ+1cBbwqC1j3zw+52rtqkbNox4Z2BkhlfLFybTc4XbJkhysNDep0Qcv5yqnjVzjnj/1kjOX3fWcF2U=
Sender: [email protected]
LF,

I went QRT on VLF at about 17.00Z today.
Many thanks for all reports over the weekend and I shall give a summary later in the week.

Balloon (and kite) launching from my home QTH is difficult and at times quite stressful.
I have to be ever vigilant that the balloons (or kite) don't hit local houses (TV / FM radio aerials) or come down in the adjacent playing field (children + EHT !)

I have a reasonable PA which if properly matched could give several hundred watts of RF.
At present I get at best about 140 watts.
I am still using the mains matching transformer between the PA and the loading coil and this has a step-up ratio of 1:24

Energizing the PA with a higher voltage than its present 30V is not an option as the matching transformer is already running over-voltage and would doubtless break down.

It has been suggested that I use link coupling to the loading coil from the PA but the one time I tried this caused damage to both the PA and the coil, so you will sympathise with my reluctance to try that again!

I will continue for a few weeks and see if I manage to get 'real' success with the balloons or kite assisted aerials.

I was considering taking apart an old PC PSU and using the output transformer from that instead on my present iron-laminated mains transformer.
I believe that PC types will be more suitable and handle higher voltages.

I plan to transmit over the Easter holiday but beyond that I am uncertain.
I have a plan to try /P during the summer but this depends on gaining the permission of the land owner, which I am waiting for at present.

I am getting consistent reports from my 'regulars' but now need a step change in my VLF progress.

73
Chris G3XIZ