LF: Over the pole

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Over the pole
From: Laurence KL7UK <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 06:58:44 -0900
Sender: [email protected]
http://kl7uk.com/DK7FCKL7UK6thFEB11.jpg

Morning/Afternoon - well done Stefan!

Nothing (from first visuals) from Alaska but conditions were not all that great and were a few dBs down on the previous days -

Attached is the relative signal level plot for DHO38 and NPM over the period.  I know its not 9kHz but interesting for general comparision.

Pre dawn Germany DHO38 has a marvellous (very short sweet spot!)  repeatable enhancement and interestingly shallow if nothing dusk change, just gentle rise in signal strength.

Signal profiles on the near reciprocal bearing to NPM in Hawaii which shows steep dawn and more gentle and "mushy" dusk tilts. RSDN2 on the otherhand averages pretty flat, probably given the multiple transmitter locations.

The Aurora on the 4th really didnt change a lot of signal strengths save the background "hiss" was up about 5dB...I would have expected a little more loss and phase changes during this period, so guess it wasnt intense but did produce some pulsating aurora. Proton levels have diminished quite quickly but I see its still relatively hot for Stefans signal as it passes across/under the 2 Auroral ovals crossings.

There are little or no MF/HF signals coming directly over the pole at this time - its sometimes takes weeks after even a mild Auroral event to get "good" again on MF up there.

Ive a couple of Gbs .wav files so perhaps we will see what there really is with more filtering.

73
Laurence KL7UK/5 Bleary eyed...

=