LF: Earth-mode success: G6ALB copied at my home QTH (3km)

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Earth-mode success: G6ALB copied at my home QTH (3km)
From: Roger Lapthorn <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 23:43:53 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
This evening G6ALB fired up his 8.760kHz earth-mode TX running QRSS3 and 40W into earth electrodes spaced 25m apart. We started outside his QTH with a colossal signal, moving to the next village (Reach - about 2km) where the signal was still good copy. Finally we parked up outside my QTH in Burwell exactly 3km from Andrew's TX. Signals picked up in the road with my 80cm portable loop into the tuned preamp were still strong - at least 20dB S/N on QRSS3 (see attached).  For some reason I was unable to copy Andrew's signals on my own earth electrode pair. I may have had a fault and need to check why, as I was expecting this to give the best result. Andrew's signal was so strong on the 80cm loop that 12 wpm CW would have been copied.

This is the first time I've received another amateur by earth-mode (conduction). The result suggests much further is possible. Experiments continue!

73s
Roger G3XBM

--
g3xbm-qrp.blogspot.com/