LF: Grabber sensitivity

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Grabber sensitivity
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 22:20:44 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Mal,

if you had asked me why you can't see things on my own grabber, I could have told you about a dozen known plagues. Some from the vicinity (like the battery charger in one neighbour's garage at 136.9), some more distant (like the tremendous Luxembourg cacophony around DCF), and some are intentional (like the 10 minute outages when the RX is switched to the NavSpaSur moon echo).

But you asked about the noise floor at the DK7FC grabber. Well if I believed I could point out any specific deficit there, I would simply tell Stefan about it, and (knowing him), I'm sure he would have it fixed by the very same evening ;-)

Seriously, I would not even try to come up with a general answer. There are many possible causes why some signals show up in some places better than in others. Your receive site may be more RF quiet, or your high antenna more immune to local mains-borne QRM, or your next-door neighbour may just not have a certain brand of DSL router. G3KEV may perhaps benefit from a more northerly location, closer to the shore, or further from Mediteranean QRN activity. There's a lot of spatial and temporal variability in propagation. In the end, it also depends on how much of your lifetime you are willing (and allowed) to spend sitting before of a transceiver.

Best wishes
Markus (DF6NM)

Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 7:13 PM
Subject: LF: Re: Re: OE5ODL over different paths

Markus
How do you explain the reason that I can work ES6AM and EW6GB at good OOO copy yet these stations are not visible on the DK7FC grabber. I have my theory but prefer to hear what you have to say
This also applies to other stns like RN3AGC which are good copy with me but agn not visible on other grabbers like DK7FC
This has been my most recent observations when I have been in QSO with these stations.

De Mal/g3kev