Re: LF: 500kHz Classe-E

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 500kHz Classe-E
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 12:32:15 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Andy,

I've built class E PAs for 2.2km, 160m, 80m, 40m, 30m, 17m and 10m, so i have some experience. See some comments below...

Am 06.01.2011 10:29, schrieb Andy Talbot:
As I have all the bits available as surplus junk on the shelves, thought I would put together a QRO class-E  PA based around Alan's spreadsheet, (with mod for matching built in).
But before comitting to any particular power level / supply voltgage combination thought I'd ask what others have reliably achieved with a similar setup.

Starting parameters :
   Supply voltage anything from 28 - 55V adjustable.  25 A max
   PA device  - IRFP452 (have a small handful, so can allow a few to go pop)  Rated 500V,   0.4 Rdson, 14A,  190 Watts
   Drive, accurate 50% square wave from ICL7667
   Resonant Inductor -  air wound with 2mm Litz wire.

I reckon that at 55V 500 Watts might be a value to aim for with a single device, with the option to back off by lowering Vsupply.
But before committing to winding inductors and making parallel combination of high voltage caps, does anyone have any practical experience?   Am I aiming for too high a power perhaps.
No, 500W by one of these FETs at 500 kHz should be possible, although the efficiency will probably be 85 to 90%. But if you have a 55V/25A supply, why don't you develop a 1 kW PA? If it is designed to give 1 kW at 50V, you'll get a good 50W at a car battery so it is even usable in /p or /m :-)
Due to the relative high gate capacity the 7667 might be not the optimal choice although it will work. If you have a couple of these FETs i personally would use 4 of them in parallel and use a IXDD414 as the driver. This will allow you to get an efficiency of say 96% (if the coils are fine and suitable impulse Cs are used). A 500V device and 55V supply voltage is a high buffer but that's no disadvantage :-)

I've built a 600W class E PA running at 36VDC using 4xIRFP260N and a IXDD414. Its efficiency is 95% and the size of the whole PA (exclusive power supply) is 10cm*16cm*8cm...

Good luck and fun,

73, Stefan/DK7FC

Andy