LF: RE: 500kHz Classe-E

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: RE: 500kHz Classe-E
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 10:53:36 +0100
Accept-language: nl-NL, nl-BE
Acceptlanguage: nl-NL, nl-BE
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Andy,

what you got looks fine for a 500W PA.
Just the on-resistance of the IRFP452 (0.4 Ohm) seems a bit high. At 10A the heat loss in the FET will be 40W, lowering the efficiency a bit. An option would be 2 devices in parallel (if the switching characteristics do not differ too much) or better running from a higher voltage (80 to 100V).
I have build a 400W class E PA for 137kHz many years ago and it worked fine ... as long as the load was more or less 50 Ohm. I found that the class E PA was much more sensitive to load mismatch than a push-pull class D PA (G3YXM design). So I decided to stick to the last, sacrificing some efficiency (85% for the class D PA, 93% for the class E PA if I remember well).

73, Rik  ON7YD - OR7T