VLF: 8970.02 (propagation effects)

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: VLF: 8970.02 (propagation effects)
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 21:17:54 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Between 12 and 18 UT today, again Ossi's fieldstrength has gradually decreased on Stefan's grabber in Heidelberg (about 400 km), while it has increased for Lubos, Gerhard's and myself (all ~ 200 km). It looks like it may have been increasing also for Jacek (~ 700 km) but I'm not quite sure about the time scale of his screenshot.

This seems to confirm that a) VLF interference fringes are fairly reproducible from one day to another, and b) they vary with range in a non monotonuous way, but do not depend on direction or absolute positions.

Best wishes,
Markus (DF6NM)

Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2011 8:48 PM
Subject: Re: LF: OE3GHB_active

Dear Gerhard, VLF dreamers,

yes, this is indeed interesting. We are probably seeing a phasing effect between skywave and groundwave (or should I say between ionospheric waveguide modes), which depends on distance and solar elevation. The constellation between our stations (two transmitters and two receivers, roughly spaced 200, 400 and 600 km along a straight line) seems to be favourable for this kind of observations.

On the MSK grabber segment, DHO exhibited a remarkable frequency selective sunset dip, walking through the emission band (200 Hz HF-to-LF in about 10 minutes). After 16:10, the VLF traces on my grabber were disrupted due to local 137 kHz transmit activity.

Best wishes,
Markus (DF6NM)

Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2011 6:18 PM

Dear Markus and group!

I'm not sure but probably on your grabber there's a nice propagation
effect on VLF visible.

I radiated all the time today with nearly constant power, except some 5
minutes breaks and a half hours of downtime.

Ossi's signal also was very constant all the time on his grabber which
is 10km away.

Starting from 12:00z and lasting until about 14:00z my signal is clearly
stronger than Ossi's signal, while at the moment, my signal isn't
visible any more and Ossi's signal is still present, even maybe stronger
than most of the day.

On Stefan's grabber this effect is not clearly visible.

This is quite interesting.

73
OE3GHB
Gerhard