LF: RE: adding a L into a 300m LF vertical?

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: RE: adding a L into a 300m LF vertical?
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 18:42:25 +0100
Accept-language: nl-NL, nl-BE
Acceptlanguage: nl-NL, nl-BE
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Stefan,

your calculations seems very resaonable to me. But if I compare it to the "classic" antenna with loading coil at ground level, I am not sure that it is worth the effort.

Using MMana-Gal a 300m vertical gives almost identical values as EZNEC (8-j604 Ohm).
The wire loss (1mm Cu wire) it about 2 Ohm, so the overall resistance rises to 10 Ohm.
Assuming you use a good loading coil (Q = 350) the coil loss is 1 ohm and the antenna impedance is 11 Ohm.
Plus 25 Ohm ground loss = 36 Ohm overall loss.
Overall efficiency = 8/36 = 22%

Adding a (lossless) 1mH inductance at 100m height gives 13-j20 Ohm (no wire loss).
When including wire loss the resistance rises to 15 Ohm.
Further assuming that the elevated coil has a Q= 100 it's loss is about 8 Ohm and the overall loss  is 23 Ohm.
Plus 25 Ohm ground loss the resistive part rises to about 48 Ohm (very convenient), the small variometer (about 23uH) will hardly contribute to the overall loss (at Q = 350 the loss is less than 0.1 Ohm).
So the overall efficiency is 13/48 = 27%.

The "flying coil" will improve the antenna by 27/22 = 1.23 or 0.9dB. Maybe the extra sag will cause more loss than that.

But at the other hand, I have good experience with elevated coils, that can not be explained by improved current distribution (larger effective height).
So if it is not too much trouble making the elevated coil I would say: try it and you will know.

73, Rik  ON7YD - OR7T