Re: LF: VLF Earth Mode does NOT need an NoV - official at last

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: VLF Earth Mode does NOT need an NoV - official at last
From: Chris Trayner <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 15:44:36 +0000
Accept-language: en-US, en-GB
Acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Roger,

On 2011 Jan 18, at 15:11, Roger Lapthorn wrote:

> Today I received this letter from OFCOM, which clarifies the legality of
> operating so called "earth mode" (conduction/induction via the ground)
> experiments at frequencies below 9kHz in the UK. Note the sentence in Paul's
> letter saying, "We would not normally issue NoVs for communications using
> non-wireless telegraphy apparatus/stations i.e.  where you rely only on
> conducted emissions and where there are no intentional radiated emissions.".

Maybe.

Saying that they don't normally issue NoVs could mean that NoVs aren't needed,
or that they are needed but that OFCOM would rarely grant one.

I suspect that their intended interpretation is what you say, and that they
simply haven't written it unambiguously. I'm willing to say this in your
defence in court ;-)

73,
Chris G4OKW

Dr Chris Trayner
School of Electronic & Electrical Engineering,
The University of Leeds,
Leeds LS2 9JT, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 113 34 32053
Fax: +44 113 34 32032