LF: Re: What has VLF to do with Toads & Earth Quakes ?

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: What has VLF to do with Toads & Earth Quakes ?
From: "Hugh M0WYE" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 15:21:41 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Bufo Bufo and group,
There are indeed some strange scientific papers about.

It seems to me that it would be best to study links between VLF propagation and earthquakes, and between VLF propagation and toad breeding patterns seperately. But the author is clearly interested in any ability to predict earthquakes found in animals.
I had not heard of any effect of earthquakes on VLF before, although it is true that there are many factors which affect the ionosphere.

The suggestion is not that the earthquake emits a VLF signal, rather that it disturbs the ionosphere, so that VLF signals are no longer reflected across the "sky". The main things which affect the ionosphere are solar radiation, the solar wind and the earth's magnetic field.
Of these, the magnetic field seems the strongest contender, I wonder if there are any magnetometer records for the area being studied at the time of the quake?
73
Hugh M0WYE