LF: Progress on the Dreamer's Band

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Progress on the Dreamer's Band
From: Roger Lapthorn <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 08:15:16 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Dear All,

Less than a year ago someone called 8-9kHz "The Dreamers Band" assuming that results would be impossible, but here we are now with several stations able to do scientific observations of long distance propagation changes on the band! This is a band on which amateurs are yet again able to demonstrate real science in action and where the true amateur radio spirit is alive and well.

If I may summarise the 8-9kHz band status today:

- at least 6 stations active on TX capable of producing a far-field DX signal
- probably around 20-30 stations able to receive such far field transmissions
- around 10(?) grabbers monitoring the band either full or part time.
- best DX from a home QTH 699km
- best DX from a /P location 2873km
- others experimenting with earth mode propagation over local distances
- lots being learnt about antennas, receivers and propagation (and pipes and wet fenland!).
- DX far-field transmission also successfully received on 6.47kHz and 5.17kHz.

And what next on the band?

- some real 2-way QSOs (one was made last year in Germany over about 20km)?
- more home station far-field TX operation?
- whistler mode guided DX into the southern hemisphere?
- transatlantic reception?
- new coding techniques to allow QSO mode contacts in shorter time periods?

In all this has been a fantastic year. The thrill of seeing Stefan's 8.97kHz weak trace on my PC screen in December matched anything I had done in amateur radio.  So, well done to all those who have put so much effort into breaking down barriers in our hobby and opening up a fresh place to explore. A very special thank you to Stefan DK7FC.

May I end with links for:

- the sub-9kHz Yahoo Group open to anyone interested
- my sub-9kHz website where I try to make sub-9 news available to a wider audience

73s
Roger G3XBM

--
g3xbm-qrp.blogspot.com/