Re: LF: G8IMR - stronger? ...and G3XBM on 136kHz WSPR this evening

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: G8IMR - stronger? ...and G3XBM on 136kHz WSPR this evening
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 08:57:03 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=swDmTP1pr9RlIlkR6RoNv/5qBo/hIxZPBaOAj+VpRiI=; b=nb8fQSm7TTgl72wQaukx6R2VvNhj71Aijd5OzVRlCyzru0aMDjYqF+KwpAhF8AZVrA jZOGtn4qDVL+kaVYZqDWN2VlocJTPkzPhsjqFcbbuy0Iob3Sfzas9nWjmwGYmB3WC2YN A2pqBp2MTp2THkRuayuS3vQOYq/RXUqLYsgSU=
Sender: [email protected]
We put it down to an increase in lossy paralle resistance.
In dry conditions, the reactive (out of phase) near field current terminates on ground radials without passing through too much (relatively speaking) lossy ground material.

When everything is covered in water, the reactive field is conducted away into lossy ground material before entering the radials.  Being resistive, the current moves into phase with the E-field and ,starts to introduce added I^2R loss.  Most significantly here, walls and roof tiles the top-hat passes close to become more conductive, extracting noticably in-phase currents from the E field.

The result is a decreased resistance in parallel with the antenna capacitance, and when you plug decreased parallel R into the equation for parallel-to-serial transform, voila, an increased series term.

The tuning shifts marginally, but it was far worse when the effect was first discovered on 73kHz.
Was that really well over a decade ago - time flies!

Andy