LF: Re: Ground proximity antennas

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Ground proximity antennas
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 13:57:30 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btopenworld.com; s=s1024; t=1286974650; bh=glzXKIcsKUGoW7BYwUPt5P8L4LpkIS/+FvRPSBignm0=; h=Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=CdVgk0AsE4bHOBtjh/qR4M6ehLAhWYPnuq3n4g5wyhJT+JGoEXieJ91Ga2fDLssFWbmJT9DyZqa1p2kciZtidwDORf2OFOJlSkIvdzBiXFP5OkMKO9rCGlQckeZ7DIXKRxXrKkSbff6Gvi/DmDSElgkazG96AR4Sds34e8tHgaM=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=DKIM-Signature:Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=AnwptBvDPddFtdy3JcCV0fpEpn7YkGx/DCig7cYN8NLZd/JrAg484PzQQMbnXOxtPn/wESYWe/FoB1RT4nLG/2iSmlh8u+sVN60SWVYCJMIo6uP+cRD12o1t/OxgQ4dQ9ZhTDdmyU9sS1c/iQSyjGh36rE7ABBNH4qMnBKiBxMo= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]

Dear Mal, LF Group,

G3KEV wrote:
...>Antennas described on here recently on or near the ground are only variations of Beverage antennas and inefficient for Transmitting...

This is missing the point. I think the interesting questions about such antennas are:

-Achieving great enough antenna height to make an LF antenna that is actually "efficient" is usually impossible for amateurs. Sometimes it is possible to erect a very long, but low height antenna, so does this form of antenna have advantages in efficiency or otherwise over a short, low height antenna? What is the best way of using such antennas?

-The text-book explanation of Beverage antenna operation, including that low ground conductivity is neccessary for proper operation, etc. is not very convincing to me - I don't really believe that such an antenna over a perfect ground plane would fail to radiate or receive any signals. So in what mode to such antennas actually operate?

G3KEV also wrote:
...>I have never missed any DX signals by not having one.

Ahh, but how would you know? You can't prove the negative... Maybe that prime DX station was calling, calling, calling, but to no avail due to your deaf antenna ;-)

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU