LF: Re: Re: Ground proximity antennas

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Re: Ground proximity antennas
From: "mal hamilton" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 16:48:43 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Jim
I am sure a beverage would perform over good ground but to what degree would
it be less efficient than over poor ground.
Any bit of metal, wire etc will radiate something like the proberbial bed
springs or hook up to your central heating radiator system. Try this and you
will be heard probably several miles away but that is hardly the way to
proceed, likewise apart from having fun  Ground Promimity Antennas are no
substitute for a real elevated antenna up as high as possible especially on
LF/MF
regarding DX
Working DX is not an isolated fete, there are others doing likewise on the
band so one is aware what is going on and I have never failed to hear the DX
that others are hearing/working some with beverages but most without.
A proper half wave or 1/4 wave vertical antenna or full size one wave loop
erected at a optimum height or as near as possible on the band of interest
is hard to beat
or better still at the higher frequencies a multi ele yagi or quad array.
  73 Mal/G3KEV