Re: VLF: Transmit hardware

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: VLF: Transmit hardware
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 12:20:21 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
I got a complaint from the neighbourhood about acoustic radiation from the coil! So I interrupted the carrier for a few minutes around 12:35 and improvised a foam package for noise mitigation.

BTW It is quite remarkable that an air coil vibrates at 9 kHz and not 18 kHz, as Lorentz forces between windings should be a purely quadratic effect. I presume that the vibration is induced by the earth field - at only 50 uT it's amazing how strong the effect still is! The loudest part of the setup is the ferrite transformer, probably due to magnetostriction, with bias from some remanent core magnetisation.

Best wishes for a quiet Sunday,

MArkus (DF6NM)