Re: LF: its back - maybe -

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: its back - maybe -
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 15:39:06 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlemail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=Jdsv/jzqIiUxapZaxRMvh7dz6uzeb+PPf//kJ7zlSL8=; b=UYlSwZrJR91w+qJC/a+0JU6mgXkG2NcYYfrf5OSIWMhBkh81T3jnwNjRJK++CI4qmL qmNJNSb8HL8MoZ59au/soWOj9stWcHNo4MMVL3IWqOIvQdc94SyfZYzAbMT1tuvaG2IJ NFVr02wRfurh3C37NS3C8iNOm2wB4k1BAv8H4=
Sender: [email protected]
Usually impulsive interference, carriers  and the laws of probability.

Given a data stream with strong source coding and all original redundancy removed, then any data that passes the error correction tests on receive must then be decoded as something that looks like valid source data.

The false decodes you are getting are those bursts of interference that get interpreted as valid-ish tones, and by chance fall into a sequence that the convolutional decoder accepts as a reasonable contribution to the decoding.

WSPR codes callsigns assuming a letter or number,  followed by a number, followed by three letters or numbers (or spaces). The locator is encoded as a 15 bit value representing any of the 32400 possible locators it could ever be, and power is coded as a 6 bit number showing any of 60 possible power levels.

So if the error decoder decides the rubbish/QRN  it has received may have enough symbols in the correct position to be a valid WSPR sequence, then whatever pattern of 72  '1's and '0' it lets through to the decoder will always look like a callsign + locator + power level.

The error detection circuitry is pretty immune against noise, but impulsive interference and spurious carriers may confuse it

You do seem to be getting more than most people though.