Re: LF: DK7FC now on 137.715 in DFCW4 with his 600m earth antenna

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: DK7FC now on 137.715 in DFCW4 with his 600m earth antenna
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 20:06:51 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Mal, LF,

It is a wire, 4 m above ground. It is grounded at the far end, using 20 * 0,4 m loong copper rods, about 1m spaced. The same ground electrode array is near the other end of the antenna. The RF is applied at this point, so between one earth electrode and the wire. RF power was about 100 W in this test.

The antenna was not resonated or matched to 50 Ohm but the PA remained absolutely cold, so all the power (measured on the DC side ( P= 12,5 V * 8,5 A)) must have been applied to the antenna. I will take an Oscilloscope to the antenna soon and will measure the U/I ratio and the phase. Then i can add some C and a suitable step up transformer. If Z=R=50 Ohm i can apply my class E PA as well...

Also, i will built an amperemeter (using a current transformer and a bridge rectifier) to measure the antenna current on all frequencies, since my digital amperemeter can measure on 8.97 kHz but not on 137 kHz...

Mal, what ARGO settings do you use? QRSS-3, normal should be suitable. My DFCW was 4 seconds dot and 1 second break between the elements. I am using RIKs QRS program. Will switch to QRSS the next time (not only but sometimes ;-) ).

On sunday i have tested the IC-706 as a RX. For attenuation a had just the possibility to use the internal attenuator. But this is all still not working fine. I could not even receive OE5ODL. So i have to work on this side...

Has anyone a ready to use circuit for a homemade LF RX that uses a high power signal? LF RX means that i do not need an extra HF TRX to make signals audible. So the signal must be shifted down to the range where the soundcard is working or even to audible frequencies. And the input should be suitable for strong signals... :-)

73, es CU

Stefan/DK7FC