LF: Re: Noise R75 - rs232 from smpsu -

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Noise R75 - rs232 from smpsu -
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 11:29:31 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
I have an interesting example of this with my PC and router.

Initially when I set assembled my new PC a couple of years ago I found
terrible hash from its psu on 80m and 40m. This was traced to the
infamous omitted filter components in the ATX psu. Filtering on the
mains lead made no difference, but it went away when I fitted the
required missing components - ie a series dual choke and ceramic caps
down to the earth line. Components were salvaged from a scrap TV board.

When I changed my broadband to O2 last year I found the hash on 80m had
reappeared, but only when I unplugged the supply to the PC last thing
at night. Provided the PC was plugged in (but powered down) I didn't
get the noise. Presumably the router psu - the router is a Thomson
TG585V7 - has no filtering and the hash finds it way to earth via the
PC earth connections.

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com